As you folks probably know by now, I’m blogging my experiences while I work towards my private pilot’s licence for flying fixed wing aeroplanes. According to the FAA, the minimum requirements to obtain a Private Pilot’s Licence in the United States are:
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
- Pass an FAA Medical Examination to obtain at least a Class III Medical Certificate.
- Pass an FAA Knowledge Test (written examination / computer–based multiple choice test).
- Obtain 40 hours of flight time to include 10 hours of solo flight.
- Pass an FAA Oral and Flight Test (Check–Ride).
For me, the first two requirements are not an issue - I’m definitely over 17 years of age, and I can read, speak, write and understand English.